ice storm…stairs and such

skylight shaft

There’s a light at the end of this tunnel*…this is a skylight shaft over one of the bathrooms.  Bright & cheery it will be, a nice place to put your face on morning or night.

french doorsThe house is insulated, and sheetrock has arrived for install.  French doors & sidelights in the living room looking out to the deck.peninsula fireplaceAbove is the ‘peninsula’ gas fireplace that sits between the living and dining rooms, and the temporary stair – ladder.

steel stringerHere is the upper run of the stairs being installed. We used a steel stringer to attach the aluminum CR Laurence base ‘shoe’ for the glass railings that will go up both flights of stairs and around the balconies. The shoes (silver strip toward bottom of pic) have to attach to steel, from what I know. railing shoeA close-up of the shoe on the upper balcony. It’s attached to the tube-steel that is bolted to the wood PSL, so that the shoe will be aligned with the flooring and it will look (fingers crossed) as though the glass starts from the floor with no support.stair risersJumping ahead a few days here is the stair with treads initially installed. I had pushed for an open-riser stair in this house, since you walk in and see the bottom of the stair from the front door. But I was overruled by the Feng Shui consultant, who explained that energy would flow right through with nothing (such as risers) to stop it. So we have risers. stair landingA view from the living room toward the front door and up the stairs. We originally were to have a low wall or railing at the square landing bottom of stairs, but decided to nix it and extend the bottom step all the way across so you can walk up or down into the room.side viewA view from the park next door. We painted the bay window entirely the same dark bronze color as the windows. The window layout is original on this side.solar panelsA view from above the house you can see the solar panel standoffs on the flat part of the roof. On the left is the new shed dormer at the front. shed dormerHere’s the shed dormer that replaces the 2 former hobbit dormers.  stucco shedAt the back of the house the new stucco siding is going on, and in the yard we have a small shed / outbuilding / meditation hut.  Much more to share – stay tuned! *There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel – we are determined to have the owners moved in by Christmas.  ho ho ho! 

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under 1980 house

4 responses to “ice storm…stairs and such

  1. Noel

    Great work. I found your blog while searching for attachment methods for CR Laurence glass railing channels for my contemporary home here in Toronto, Canada. Love your sense of style and all the pictures you post of the process and methods, etc.

  2. Noel

    I was looking at the pictures again. I see you used the tapped CRL weld blocks welded to the steel tubing in order to screw in the CRL base shoe (using the CRL socket head cap screws I presume). Would you be kind enough to tell me what the dimensions and thickness was of the steel tubing? Actually the tubing looks more like an I-channel but that just might be the pictures. I see also that you appear to have drilled holes into the steel in order to attach it to the PSL, or did it come predrilled?

    Thanks so much

    • mcelroyarch

      The steel tube was 3×8 (not a channel) and I don’t recall the thickness. The CRL shoe was attached to the angled stringer at each of the mounting tabs, about every 12″. The 2×4 horizontal steel tubes along the balconies had holes every 18″ to lag bolt them to the PSL; these also had mounting tabs for the CRL shoe.. We ended up covering it all in casing/drywall because the steel and shoe being 2 different materials was ugly; but I would like to try a totally exposed steel version in the future – which would likely be fully-custom and no CRL shoe.

      • Noel

        Thanks so much for that information. I thought of fully custom too but it was ridiculously expensive especially due to the fact it has to be custom fabricated in a metal that looks good when visible, the rubber gasket retention groove that also has to be milled in and a structural engineers report has to be prepared to satisfy local authorities. And then there would be exposed holes where it was fastened to the substrate unless it was designed to fastened in a different orientation (I am talking about the horizontal glass guard here), which might not be possible. Wet glazing vs using the Taper-Lok system would remove the need for a groove but there’s a big disadvantage in that the entire assembly has to ripped out if the glass ever needs replacing. Perhaps stainless steel or aluminum cladding to cover both the CRL channel (both on the horizontal and vertical surfaces) and steel tube, so that it appears as one unit, might be more economical and would also cover the fastening holes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s