The cottage remodel with two apartment is now completed and ready for move-in. Here’s a view in the upper unit living-dining rm / kitchen room toward the front. We went with mid-range / affordable (but tasteful) finishes such as Ikea kitchens because these will be rental units. From the courtyard looking at the front of the cottage at the back. The red wall on the left is a 3-unit building at the front of the same lot. Below are some views of the Ikea kitchens in a white lacquer finish with large white tile backsplash:The cleaning crew hadn’t come yet when I took these photos, hence the dusty floors! We got lots of storage in the 39″ high upper cabinets, taking advantage of the 9’+ high ceilings. Because this building is essentially in the backyard it has lots of greenery outside the windows looking into the neighboring gardens. The front building was remodeled at the same time; I did the design way back in 2007 at my old firm. Above is a view of the Edwardian street facade. The owner worked with a colorist to choose the palette – I really like that it’s all one color! Obviously interior paint was still going on… I’ll go back and take more photos – I think the front door is no longer lime. Using a monotone palette celebrates the original detail in a subtle way, rather than using a different color for each of the million pieces of festoonery. On the left is a photo of the one of the Ikea-finished bathrooms….then looking out the window I took this photo of what I think is a chicken coop in the neighbor’s yard! Cute little corrugated-metal roofed hutch. Maybe rabbits live in it..The new relocated stair and railing.
Category Archives: back yard cottage
Hey, what is that peeking from back there? Ever look at that ugly cottage in your back yard and wonder, gosh, what ever kind of siding do I put on it? We went with Hardie clapboard siding. A clean and simple yet slightly traditional look for the upgrade of this building. Larger, more vertical windows at the courtyard bring more light into the rooms and accentuate the 10ft tall ceilings. This is the color that the siding comes – not yet painted. Upstairs the living spaces are now open to each other, front to back. Photo below looking at the back wall, the older 70s window shapes had to be maintained because they’re directly on the property line. Or we would have increased them – why, why is there so much blank wall space above these windows? To hang fun pictures? Fact of the day: windows closer to the ceiling bring light deeper into the room. Push ’em up!
From what we can tell, this back-yard structure has been here for about 100 years as seen on the above 1913 Sanborn Map. These maps are pretty cool because the outlines of buildings were drawn, and you can see what it may have been originally if it changed. ‘D’ for dwelling – we’re upgrading this 2-unit building. The dwelling at the front of the lot is being remodeled by Feldman Architecture – I managed the project when I worked there and I get to see them both happen at once. The building touches the property lines on 3 sides…which is uncommon at the back yard, and not really allowed anymore for several code reasons I won’t go into… not enough room on the blog! Look at the gorgeous T-111 siding in brown and small single-pane windows – one of which used to open into a shed! You can see the outline of the shed that was removed but will be rebuilt as part of the front building. Inside there was a jumble of spaces and odd soffits and such. The refrigerator wasn’t invited into the kitchen with the rest of the appliances. Upstairs the back windows look out onto a nice large tree and adjacent back yards. Part of the code issue is that these windows can’t be enlarged – if they are, they’re not permitted to open due to fire prevention. So we’re replacing all property line windows in the same configuration so they can be operable.
Once the walls were opened up we could see the abuse this building has withstood: evidence of charred framing indicates there was a fire at some point (which explains why such an old building has no olde detailing) and whatever wood wasn’t singed was chomped through by some hungry buggers as seen in the window sill above. ALL to be replaced! You can’t tell in the photo but the floor has a significant slope…which we’ll be correcting because the living spaces are being opened up to one big room. On the left: with 10′ ceilings it seems such a waste to have a standard 6′-8″ door…seems so wimpy! Then again it’s only a rental building so we’re not going all out here. The attic….how great would it be to finish out this space! But it would go far beyond the project budget here. Wonder what’s in that box…..
more to come!