A lot has happened since my last update! On this house, and for the business: we’ve moved to a new office, and the dust is still settling… This is a mighty heap of scrap – mostly unusable – taken from the house and placed into the rear yard. The rear yard here is/was a beautifully overgrown mass of decades-old flowering plants and trees. To get taller living space on the first level we removed the floor to get up to 24″ of additional height to work with:
As you can see the walls were all sorts of patched together = need to be rebuilt. Then we had to excavate into the hill to maintain this lofty new ceiling.This retaining wall represents the line between the garage that will maintain the original low height of approx. 7′, and the new living space that will have approx. 10′ ceilings.
The new stairs came down (‘bombs awaaay!’) just in time as the new 3′ addition extended the house into the rear yard. Upstairs, the back portion of the house was removed. This was a multi-layer addition from the 1940s-70s, and insufficient to support the third floor addition. Braces hold up the side property line walls. We left the existing side windows in so we can replace them in-kind without having to be fire-rated (which can run about $2500 for a 3’x4′ window!)
The charming master bedroom dormer is seen here.
Above views are from the second floor looking through the newly opened wall. The photo below is looking up at the back of the house. The first floor is framed in, and the new deck is cantilevered 5′ beyond the wall.
Where’s Waldo? There’s a guy in all that mess, if you look hard enough.
This is me trying to photograph a steel beam, standing on the open edge of the house!
More to come!
The back wall was totally removed leaving a carved-out view into the back of this house. In the right image the framing seems to make giant heart ♥ These photos are a few weeks old, now much of the new framing has been put up. There’s the owner and contractor on the right, making important decisions I’m sure! Inside it’s all down to the studs. Here are the old cove framing half-moons. We’re raising the living room and kitchen ceilings, because there was about 24″ of scuttle-attic space above. The area on the left now has a new staircase framed in it, from the kitchen down to the first floor rooms, sort of like below:
This was a quick Sketchup rendering to figure out the stairs, which duck down behind the counter on the left. The lower window was to look into the stair, and the upper window out to the sky. It’s been modified partly by codes (amount of window allowed within 5′ of property line) and partly by the owner.
This is an old bay window that was removed – it looks like a typical SF foggy view. It was covered in plastic which was making thunderous noises in the wind, and the neighbors wanted it taken down….Here’s the raised, angled ceiling framing over the kitchen. The ceiling drops flat over the Dining Rm, then raises again in the Living Rm beyond. more to come~
The Victorian remodel is winding down. . down to the details that seem never ending! But they have to: the place is being toured starting this week; professionally photographed tomorrow. Electric, plumbing, paint, hardware, etc, all going in currently. I’ve gotten my hands dirty all week, a refreshing break away from the office/computer: hauling garbage, lumber trips, help with final cleaning… Some photos:
Pendant lights for the top floor, awaiting hanging.
New handrails all blackened steel with oak grips, white posts (caps to be painted)
Bathtub side panels that match the cabinetry. We went with oval tiles at the master backsplash. Countertop are Caesarstone Misty Carrera, a warm gray color that goes well with the white oak.
That view over the kitchen sink! I can’t say I’d object to washing dishes if I had that view east toward the bay, the morning sun blasting into the room.
A few weeks have gone by. . once the walls were taped, mudded and sanded we moved ahead to install new flooring – 3.25″ white oak – soon to be sanded and finished.
Once the floors went in we moved ahead placing cabinet boxes. We are installing kitchens designed by a local Scavolini [their website has some groovy tunes] shop. We used the same finish in both apartments to tie the building together.
I’m excited to see the tile from Heath Ceramics start going in, they have a really beautiful handmade quality. We are using mostly white tile in the bathrooms and kitchens to leave a clean color slate, but we chose a mix of pale greens for one of the bathrooms of the upper unit, and a brown for the master bath shower. The vanity cabinets in all bathrooms are rift white oak custom made from City Cabinetmakers here in San Francisco.
This mix of green tiles will cover the walls surrounding the bathtub/shower to the ceiling. Interior doors are being installed – we chose a two-panel square sticking style to be a cleaner version of traditional. A stack of original wood moulding awaits reuse.